Caramel Chocolate Cake

I always seem to find something I need to use up in my store cupboard, and this time it was a tin of Carnation Caramel just coming to its 'use by' date.
I love anything caramel, so decided to use it as a filling and topping for a cake. I know it's very sweet, but I took it to a coffee morning to share the sweetness!

It uses oil instead of butter, so perhaps that makes it a bit healthier!

For the cake:

Preheat oven 180C/gas4               Grease and base line 2x18cm sandwich tins.

Sieve together 175g sr flour, 21/2 tbspn cocoa powder and 1 tspn bicarb. Stir in 150g caster sugar.
In a jug  - put 150ml vegetable oil [I used sunflower] and 150ml milk, 2 eggs and 1 tspn vanilla extract and beat together.
Beat 2 tbspn of the caramel till smooth and add to the egg mixture. Add the wet mixture to the dry and mix well. [It's a wet mixture]
Pour into the tins and bake for 20-25mins till risen and firm. Cool the cakes in the tin, then turn onto a wire rack.

For the icing:

Melt 125g dark chocolate [I used 70%] in a microwave or over simmering water. Add the rest of the tin of caramel and 1 tspn vanilla extract and beat together till smooth. Add 1 tbspn sieved icing sugar and mix together.

Put one of the cakes on a plate and spread half of the icing on top. Add the second cake and cover the top with the rest of the icing. Leave to set.


I sprinkled a bit more icing sugar on the top. The cake has a lovely soft, moist texture and is a good contrast to the smooth caramel filling. Yes the filling is sweet, but the dark chocolate counteracts some of the sweetness and gives it a lovely flavour. A nice treat with a cuppa.


Comments

That looks like a sweet and gooey treat. I'd forgotten about Carnation Caramel and I wish I had some right now.

Popular posts from this blog

Lemon Coconut Slices

My favourite Plum Tart

Aberffraw cakes